While spending a rainy afternoon at a friend's house more than forty years ago, Laura Bradford fell in love with writing over a stack of blank paper, a box of crayons, and a freshly sharpened number two pencil.
Those early attempts at the craft had her writing and illustrating stories for young children. Wise beyond her years, Laura saved her first writing attempt in a hand decorated shoe box (complete with sparkly stickers) and moved on to her next idea. Her second book—O’Casey’s Wish—was so utterly brilliant, she sent it off to a well-known New York publishing house at the tender age of ten, confident she was on the verge of becoming the next Don Freeman (Corduroy) or Shel Silverstein (Giving Tree).
Months later, she received her first form letter rejection.
While she wasn’t of the mindset to save that first crushing blow for posterity, Laura did save the original copy of this particular literary masterpiece in the event the letter was a mistake.
Desperate to prove her flexibility as a writer, Laura soon found herself dabbling in jokes (for her Girl Scout troop’s newsletter), stories of angst (a somewhat autobiographical look at her teenage years), movie reviews (for the Xavier University Newswire), and countless news and feature articles (for newspapers in CT, SC, TN, and MO).
It wasn’t until Laura was home raising children of her own though, that she was finally able to dust off that rainy day dream and bring it back to its original form—writing fiction. Today, she is a bestselling mystery author with Berkley Prime Crime (Penguin Publishing), and women’s fiction author with Kensington Publishing. She lives in New York with her family.
Oh, and if you meet Laura at a book event in the future, ask her about O’Casey’s Wish. It tends to travel with her everywhere she goes.
10 Fun Facts
1) I've lived in 8 different states.
2) My deadline food of choice is candy corn with a big glass of milk.
3) I can recite the Big Mac ingredient list...backward.
4) I was a Girl Scout leader for my daughters for many, many years.
5) If I wasn't a writer, I'd find a way to bake for a living.
6) My favorite job of all is mom.
7) I'm a total Disney World nut. Went for my first time when I was 5.
8) I love water parks.
9) Mini golf gets pretty fierce in my family.
10) If I'm flipping channels and come across an episode of Little House on the Prairie, I will stop and watch.